Background and interests
I studied music and psychology at St. Olaf College, in Minnesota. Regarding causes, my chief concerns are animals (I’m a vegan) and future generations.
I hope to make some money and direct a portion of it to an effective charity. Convincing other people to do good certainly seems to be an effective use of one’s time, so I’ll try to do that too.
After I graduated from college in 2011, I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do. I was leaning toward law school, but a conversation with the 80k careers adviser (among other things) convinced me to study programming and computer science instead.
I’m a part-time psychiatric technician at a residential treatment center. The rest of my time I spend learning to program, among other things.
Some capuchin monkeys engage in strange bonding rituals, such as inserting their fingers into each other’s eye sockets.
Causes I support
- Protecting future generations: Reducing the risk of dangerous new technologies
- Protecting future generations: Reducing global catastrophic risks
- Protecting future generations: Reducing existential risks
- Protecting future generations: Other
- Animal welfare
- Animal welfare: Ending factory farming
- Animal welfare: Reducing wild animal suffering
- Meta-activities: Building the effective altruist movement
My high impact activities
- Donating money
- Earning to give