Effective date: 17th January, 2019
By using our Service, you accept the practices described in this policy.
We work closely with organisations in our priority paths to fill their most important roles. We use information available online (e.g. on LinkedIn) and submitted by you to us (e.g. when applying for our recruiting service) to match you with high impact roles.
When we come across a role you might be a good fit for, we will either:
- Contact you to suggest you apply or discuss the opportunity with you.
- Directly share your contact details, and some of the information you have submitted to us, with the relevant employer.
- We will only share information in the context of positively recommending you for consideration for a role.
- We use our discretion when deciding what information to share with potential employers. If you wish to mark particular information as strictly confidential between you and 80,000 Hours, just tell us.
Information we may collect
Depending on the circumstances, we may collect, store, and use the following categories of personal information about you:
- Personal contact details such as name, title, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses.
- Date of birth.
- Information on your career background, interests and goals, for example on which problems you’d like to use your career to solve or where you’d like to work.
- Marital status and dependants.
- Salary, annual leave, pension and benefits information.
- Start date(s) of job roles.
- Location of employment or workplace.
- Recruitment information (including copies of right to work documentation, references and other information included in a CV or cover letter or as part of the application process).
- Employment records (including job titles, work history, working hours, training records and professional memberships).
- Your previous engagements with the Centre for Effective Altruism, for example information relating to your attendance of relevant events or activities on Centre for Effective Altruism websites including the 80,000 Hours website.
Special Category Data (also known as Sensitive Personal Information)
In cases where you may decide to provide special category data (for example when applying for assistance from our one-on-one team) we collect this data under the legal basis of consent and you will be prompted to give consent for the processing of such data for the relevant purpose. In other cases where Special Category Data is processed, it is with appropriate safeguards in conducting our activities as a nonprofit and in the service of meeting our goals of creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive community.
How your information may be collected
We may collect information:
- On websites such as LinkedIn or a public website.
- You provide to us through online forms, such as an application for our coaching or recruiting service or indicating your interest in being matched with operations roles in effective altruism organizations.
- You provide to the Centre for Effective Altruism, such as an application to attend Effective Altruism Global.
- Provided to us by a third party, such as your application for a role which you subsequently agreed to share with us.
- You provide us through other means, such as information on your current plans to a member of staff or online form.
What we may use your information for
- To assess your suitability for potential roles with organizations hiring for high impact roles that 80,000 Hours is assisting (clients)
- To contact you about a potential role with a client
- To provide information to a client about your suitability for a role
When we come across a high impact role you might be a good fit for, we will suggest you apply or discuss the opportunity with you or we will sometimes share your data with high impact potential employers but only if we think you might be a good candidate for a job opening. When we do so we err on the side of caution and try to avoid telling them sensitive or unnecessary information, and require them to respect the security of your data. By applying for or using the Service, you consent to the processing of this data for the above purposes.
Legal basis and data protection rights under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Changes to this policy
We may update our this policy from time to time. We will notify you of any changes by posting the new policy on this page and updating the “effective date” at the top of this page.
If you are an active or previously active user of our Service, we may also notify you of substantive changes to this policy via email and/or a prominent notice on our Service, prior to the change becoming effective.