What others have said about 80,000 Hours
Table of Contents
- Want to do more good? This movement might have the answer, TIME
- What’s the best job to do good?, BBC Radio 4
- Can Your Career Help Change the World? You Have 80,000 Hours to Try, The Wall Street Journal
- How to pick a career that counts: A simple guide to choosing a career where you can make an impact, Vox
- To help save the world, become a banker not a doctor, The Economist
- Don’t follow your passion and think twice about medicine: the new rules of choosing a career, The Telegraph
- Doing Good, with Will MacAskill (#228), Making Sense with Sam Harris
- Where Can You Make The Biggest Difference?, Forbes
- Support for Startups: Y Combinator’s non-profit mission, Financial Times
For media inquiries, please contact [email protected].
This incredible group is helping people have a greater social impact with their careers.
Sue Desmond-Hellmann, Former CEO, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
Few choices can be more important than what we will do with 80,000 hours of our time. I’m delighted that 80,000 Hours is encouraging us to consider the ethics of career choice.
Peter Singer, Professor of Bioethics, Princeton University
80,000 Hours shares a clear-headed approach to making the biggest positive difference in the world.
Boris Yakubchik, Data Scientist at Forbes
We all want fulfilment from our careers. However, it’s easy to be lazy when choosing careers and simply use salary as the sole guiding metric of expected career fulfilment. This trap may be hard to escape from in later life – 80,000 Hours is a great new concept to help prevent people falling into the trap early in their careers.
Prof. Tim Palmer, Royal Society Research Professor in Climate Physics, Oxford University
I began working in healthcare at the age of sixteen wanting to “help people.” My motivations are still the same, but my thoughts on how best to help people have changed dramatically.
Abbie Taylor, Policy Consultant at The Health Foundation
80,000 Hours’ coaching completely changed my career plans with their tailored and actionable research.
Haydn Belfield, Academic Project Manager at the Centre for the Study of Existential Risk at Cambridge
80,000 Hours changed how I looked at my career prospects. Through 80,000 Hours, I met amazing people, and it is important to me that I know I have a network of smart, supportive folks in the years ahead.
Jacob Nebel, Professor of Philosophy at Princeton University
After I left college I knew I wanted to make the world a better place but I didn’t know how best to do it. The lecture that started it all helped me think more clearly about the factors involved in career choice. The 80,000 Hours careers adviser recommended that I study programming and computer science, and that’s what I’ve been doing. While I haven’t yet achieved my dreams, I believe that the advice provided by 80,000 Hours will help me become a more effective altruist.
Patrick Brinich-Langlois, Senior Software Engineer at Academia.edu
Read more testimonials about 1-1 advice