About the show
Effective Altruism: Ten Global Problems is a collection of ten top episodes of The 80,000 Hours Podcast, selected to help listeners quickly get up to speed on ten pressing problems that the effective altruism community is working to solve.
It’s a companion to our other compilation Effective Altruism: An Introduction, which explores the big picture debates within the community and how to set priorities in order to have the greatest impact.
These ten episodes cover:
- The cheapest ways to improve education in the developing world
- How dangerous is climate change and what are the most effective ways to reduce it?
- Using new technologies to prevent another disastrous pandemic
- Ways to simultaneously reduce both police misconduct and crime
- All the major approaches being taken to end factory farming
- How advances in artificial intelligence could go very right or very wrong
- Other big threats to the future of humanity — such as a nuclear war — and how can we make our species wiser and more resilient
- One problem few even recognise as a problem at all
The selection is ideal for people who are completely new to the effective altruist way of thinking, as well as those who are familiar with effective altruism but new to The 80,000 Hours Podcast.
The full show has over 100 interviews that dive deep into a wide range of important topics.
But it makes sense to listen to these ten classic episodes early in your journey with effective altruism and 80,000 Hours — together they’ll give you an overview of what the community is up to and why it has chosen those focus areas.