About the show
Effective Altruism: An Introduction is a collection of ten top episodes of The 80,000 Hours Podcast, specifically selected to help listeners quickly get up to speed on the school of thought known as effective altruism.
- What effective altruism is — the use of evidence and careful analysis to do as much good as possible
- The strategies for improving the world that are most popular within the effective altruism community, and why they’re popular
- The key disagreements between researchers in the field
- How to ‘think like an effective altruist’
- How you might figure out how to make your biggest contribution to solving the world’s most pressing problems
The selection leans towards a longtermist perspective, which is to say it focuses on how to build a better world not just for those of us alive today, but for all beings over the very long-term.
The selection is ideal for people who are completely new to the effective altruist way of thinking, as well as those who are familiar with effective altruism but new to The 80,000 Hours Podcast.
The full show has over 90 interviews that dive deep into a wide range of important topics.
But we suggest listening to these ten first. Together they’ll give you the most essential information you need about some of the world’s most pressing problems, and how to work out how to do the most good.