80,000 Hours is considering hiring someone to work on building tech-based systems for the 1on1 team.
- We’re looking for someone with an operations mindset who is excited about learning new tech tools and furthering 80,000 Hours’ mission
- Right now, we are open to both full or part time applicants.
- We are also currently open to both London-based (preferred) or remote applicants. We can sponsor visas.
- Starting salary for a full-time position: ~£50,000-65,000, varies based on experience, location, and other factors.
Note: This announcement is for an expression of interest, rather than a job application. We’ll likely launch a formal hiring round within the next month or two, but aren’t sure exactly when. By filling out this form, you’re giving us more information about who might be interested in this role. This information will help us decide whether to run a hiring round and how to structure it.
If we do run a formal hiring round, we’ll email everyone who filled out this expression of interest, inviting them to fill out an application for the role.
If you don’t hear back from us, we probably decided not to run a hiring round; please don’t take it as a rejection! You should feel very welcome to apply to future ads for 80,000 Hours positions (which we’ll list here and on our job board).
Why 80,000 Hours?
80,000 Hours’ mission is to get talented people working on the world’s most pressing problems. The effective altruism community, which we are part of, is growing in reach. But how do we make sure people are pursuing the right kinds of work in order to turn all those resources into long-term impact? This is the problem 80,000 Hours is trying to solve.
We’ve had over eight million visitors to our website (with over 100,000 hours of reading time per year), and more than 3,000 people have now told us that they’ve significantly changed their career plans due to our work. 80,000 Hours is also the largest single source of people getting involved in the effective altruism community, according to the most recent EA Survey.
The 1on1 team at 80,000 Hours takes people from being “interested in the ideas and wanting to help” to “actually working to solve pressing world problems.” You can learn more about our work and see some examples of people the 1on1 team has helped on our website.
Your responsibilities could include:
- Building systems to enable new ways of delivering value to users
- Prioritising and implementing changes requested by staff
- Crafting automations to streamline internal and external processes
- Analysing data to answer strategically relevant questions
- Hiring and managing contractors
- Salesforce administration
Who we’re looking for
- Operations mindset – you’re good at identifying issues, places for improvement, prioritising, generating solutions, and efficiently implementing new ideas
- Tech savviness and enthusiasm about experimenting with and learning new systems
- Programming experience may be helpful but is not necessary
- Experience in operations, IT, Salesforce administration, project management, or other relevant fields would be a bonus. However, a lack of experience shouldn’t discourage you from applying.
We’re aware that factors like gender, race, and socioeconomic background can affect people’s willingness to apply for roles for which they meet some but not all the suggested attributes. We’d especially like to encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to express interest.